On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 11:19 AM, John Sessoms <jsessoms...@nc.rr.com> wrote:
> Y'all are trying to apply common sense to marketing hype. Hardly anyone
> *needs* 24MP. A whole lot of people apparently *WANT* 24MP.

No, I believe that you have it backwards. Sensor manufacturers are
constantly looking to make whatever they make some products bigger and
better and existing products cheaper (economies of scale, if nothing
else). Camera manufacturers look at what is coming "down the pike" in
sensor design, select them and design around their components. Then
the marketing people are charged with fanning the flames of consumer
desire.

If there is anything we learned from Steve Jobs and his groundbreaking
products it is that the public doesn't have any idea what it wants,
until *after* they see it.