Darren,
I have to politely disagree.
I believe it's all market driven.
I believe that the engineer with a new toy is always thinking 'How
could I sell a million of these?'
The engineer turns it into something, and then turns it over to
marketing for more polishing.
Jobs was an exceptional businessman.  He knew what he wanted and then
beat the crap out of people until he got it and made it simple and elegant.
You can do that if you're incredibly rich and stubborn.
Regards,  Bob S.