I confess I’ve never really done A-B comparisons.  But here are some
pictures that couldn’t have been taken on any camera I’ve owned prior
to the K-5:

ISO 3200: http://goo.gl/9G9eu, http://goo.gl/7CwWU
ISO 6400: http://goo.gl/9SsZQ, http://goo.gl/2wT7s,
http://goo.gl/t4vlF, http://goo.gl/xQ5SK

Yeah, get up to and past 3200, and there’s grain there all right.  But
the pictures still work just fine. -T