I tried a very different method last time:
http://www.thrane.name/Pictures/Anythings/files/page9-1037-full.html
http://www.thrane.name/Pictures/Anythings/files/page9-1036-full.html

You can use one eye of a binocular (or a monocular) and by adjusting a bit you
are able to project an image of the sun on the floor, wall, etc. I simply put a
sheet of paper on the floor.

If you mount the binocular on a tripod you will be able to follow the passage
with you own eyes. I didnĀ“t have a tripod mount on mine so I held it in my hand
(you see the shadow of my thumb in one of the pictures). Not as sharp as it
would be the ordinary way, but more fun :-)

DagT