On 29 May 2012 14:32, John Celio <neo.venator.com+p...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to try photographing the transit of Venus across the sun on
> June 5th, but I've never tried shooting the sun before. Any of you
> guys have tips you can share? Is there a special filter I should use,
> or would a polarizer or ND filter be sufficient? I'm planning on using
> my K 500mm f4.5, so I'll probably need to special order a large enough
> filter, and I'll need to do that soon.
>
> Thanks,
> John
>
> P.S.: Hey Aussie PDMLers, I loved your country! Just got home last
> Friday. I hope I get to go back to Australia soon, especially to see
> the outback and more of Tasmania.

John,

ND filters aren't enough (unless you stack a bunch of them). I've
bought a solar filter from these guys for my own plan to photograph
the transit:

http://stores.ebay.com/Seymour-Solar-Filters

It was listed as "Solar - Sun Filter Sheets 9"X12" for Telescopes,
Finder" and cost me $17. It lets through 0.001% of the light reaching
it.

I received it earlier this week but haven't had time to fashion a
filter from the sheet. I plan to make a filter for my Tokina 400m
f/5.6 and another for my Sigma CAT 600mm f/8.

Filters for Solar observing/photography MUST ALWAYS BE ON THE
FRONT-MOST ELEMENT. The situation is so dangerous that for larger
reflecting telescopes (wider than 8") the "filter" is actually just a
hole in the telescope lid (with solar filter material covering the
hole, of course) because otherwise the concentrated and focused rays
of the Sun (even heavily filtered) could damage the secondary mirror.
In a standard lens, placing the filter in the rear filter tray would
probably damage said filter after a few minutes of observing the Sun.

Now for fun stuff: How long does your lens have to be? If using an
APS-C camera, I'd recommend 1000mm. The Sun's angular diameter is
~31.5 arcmin (arc minutes) and it "moves" across the sky at a rate of
~15 arcmin/min. A 1000mm lens will give you a 1.3 degree (78 arcmin)
horizontal FoV, so enough to fit ~2.5 Suns. If you orientate your
camera such that the Sun moves horizontally across your frame, you
should have the entire solar disc in your frame for ~3 mins (assuming
you're not using a motorised mount). If you're using a motorised
mount, then use a 1600mm lens and have the Sun practically fill your
frame (vertically).

As you're using a 500mm lens, I would suggest adding at least a 1.4x
teleconverter, or ideally a good 2x TC. Venus is going to be ~58
arcsec in diameter, so some 32.5 times smaller than the Sun. Using a
1000mm lens on a K-5 you get 1.05 pixels/arcsec, so the size of Venus
on your photograph will be ~60 pixels.

I recommend this site for practically all information regarding the
transit, including your local times of visibility:

http://www.transitofvenus.org

If you have an observatory or astronomy club near by, check to see if
they're organising an event for the occasion. If they are I'd
recommend going to take a look through a powerful telescope, even if
you take your gear along and also take photos.

Cheers,

   —M.

    \/\/o/\/\ --> http://WorldOfMiserere.com

    http://EnticingTheLight.com