On Jun 1, 2012, at 7:49 PM, Doug Franklin wrote:

> On 2012-06-01 18:53, Larry Colen wrote:
>> I've got several related issues that may have a single solution:
>
> Rule #1: More copies are better.
> Rule #2: Make a copy, see rule #1.
>
>> I've got about 4.5TB of raw PEFs on two drives.  Both drives are starting to
>> get full.
>
> And they're probably in the same physical location, too, aren't they? What
> happens when the "house burns down"?

I was just addressing the working copy, not the backups.

Moving things to the new working system would allow me to retire my old working
copies to backup status, and since they're full, they won't be in use and can
go offsite. But, you're right my working copies, and my two backup copies of my
last five years of photography are all currently in the same building, with the
negatives and prints of my previous 35 years of photography, and I expect the
same thing would happen to the drives as to the negatives.

>> My gut feeling is that the right way to do this is some sort of external
>> drive that I can share between the two machines for storing all the RAW
>> files.  I suspect that I'll want some sort of box with gigabit ethernet on
>> one end, and several sata drives on the other end.  My current drives can
>> become backups.  As to the catalogs themselves, I'll just do something
>> careful and clever so that I've got the necessary working catalog on
>> whichever machine I'm using, and sync things up with import from catalog.
>
> My plan (note: I develop software for a living, and have lots of computers
> compared to most people, and have been doing it a long time, and have worked
> for several startup companies on a shoestring, so have been screwed or
> screwed myself many times):
>
> 1. Main computer: 4 drive RAID 10 array, two cold drives ready

the four drive RAID 10 array is in the computer?    This is not a feasible, or
even possible, solution with an iMac or a laptop.  I'd need an external system.

What does one cost, with 6-8 TB of capacity?

> 2. Media computer: 4 drive RAID 10 array, two cold drives ready
> 3. Three external drives
>
> Both computers and one external are in my home.  The second external is 150
> miles away, but one "version" (up to six months or so) behind.  The third
> external is 250 miles away, but two "versions" (up to a year or so) behind.
>
> I have additional "itinerant" externals that move back and forth between my
> home and my office, 20 miles away and much sturdier.  These contain
> "snapshots" between "versions".  Periodically, everything rotates.
>
> I only wish those sorts of backup options had been economically available for
> film.

I guess you can't do film to film contact prints.

I suspect that the solution that I'll end up with for working on multiple
machines will be just to put my working files on their own external hard drive
that I can easily transfer from machine to machine.