on 2012-06-02 5:28 Larry Colen wrote
What does one cost, with 6-8 TB of capacity?

if you shop sale prices, you can get a cheap 4-drive NAS enclosure for $2-300; whether these are performant models i don't know; drives are extra

I suspect that the solution that I'll end up with for working on multiple
machines will be just to put my working files on their own external hard drive
that I can easily transfer from machine to machine.

yes, sneakernet will probably give you the best performance; ideally you'd have some sort of drive dock(s) that would let you do FireWire 800 on the iMac and Thunderbolt on Zab's laptop; barring that you could use an enclosure like this, and maybe a Thunderbolt to eSATA interface will become available sometime soon:

<http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/RAID/Desktop/>