On 2012-06-02 7:28, Larry Colen wrote:
1. Main computer: 4 drive RAID 10 array, two cold drives ready

the four drive RAID 10 array is in the computer? [...] iMac or a laptop.
I'd need an external system.

I'm on Windows PCs for my main systems, with big tower cases. The laptop just carries photos back to the main system. External "RAID lockers" out there, but they can get a bit expensive when you get over two-drive capacity.

What does one cost, with 6-8 TB of capacity?

The logic units run US$ 500 to US$ 1,000 for four-drive capacity units, the last time I looked, around Christmas. Then you have to add the raw drives to it. Six to eight TB seems to be running around another US$ 500-600 if you get 2TB drives. With the external units, performance may be high enough to use RAID 5 instead of RAID 10. I haven't tried them.

I only wish those sorts of backup options had been economically available for
film.

I guess you can't do film to film contact prints.

Someone could have, and a few probably did. I could have if I'd done a little reading up on it and bought a small amount of equipment. But the time and hassle were too much for me, and for most folks, I'd guess. Especially compared to now, where I can just scan the negs and back them up with my digital originals.

I suspect that the solution that I'll end up with for working on
multiple machines will be just to put my working files on their
own external hard drive that I can easily transfer from machine to
machine.

I use small (a hundred GB or so) externals as "in flight" backups and transportation back to the main archives. It's about the only reasonable way to go when you're moving around.

--
Doug "Lefty" Franklin
NutDriver Racing