From: Larry Colen

When there is noone else around to photograph, self portraits can be
a way to experiment with lighting, however when it comes to actually
getting decent photos, I keep running into three problems:

1) Framing, I just have to set the camera wide and hope that most of
what I want is in the frame.

2) Focus, It's a hell of a lot easier using a camera with autofocus,
but even so the camera keeps focusing perfectly, on the wrong thing.

3) My biggest challenge is that self portraiture is like trying to
make a silk purse out of a sows ear, or perhaps the whole face.

Since you mention "experiment with lighting", I guess you're using a tripod & lights on stands?

For #1 & #2, get yourself one of those life size cardboard stand-ups like Elvis or Marilyn Monroe or ... It'll stand there for you while you frame, focus & adjust the lights. Then all you have to do is move it out of the way & stand there yourself to take the photo.

You're on your own for #3.