No, and we don't know whether Christine's backup is actually
scattered, or even how she does her backups. I was speaking to all the
possible cases in order to reconnect the LR catalog to an existing set
of files.

Lightroom does no backup of your image files at all, that is
completely up to the user to set up. Its built-in backup facility is
designed to manage recovery of the catalog file, the most important
bit of the LR system which contains all your annotation and editing
work. LR accesses the original image file by reference, wherever and
however you like to arrange them. (That's why it cannot back them up:
it has no idea what your file system structure is or how to do an
efficient backup, it only knows where the files referenced in the
catalog are in the file system. )

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com