On Jul 11, 2012, at 6:32 PM, Paul Stenquist wrote:

> True. But is the scattered backup a function of Lightroom?

No, it's more a function of the user in my view, Paul.  I freely admit I have
gaps in my Lightroom  knowledge and bad photo management habits.

There are other factors as well.  Within the last year, I switched from a PC
(it crashed after heavy use for 6 years) to Mac: iPhone, iPad, and iMac, and
I'm still learning the new hardware and software.  Then I upgraded to Lightroom
4, then the previously mentioned external hard drive crashed, then I discovered
that my two external drives are less identical in folder organization than I
thought, so I'm a bit overwhelmed here with technology changes.

On top of all this, I'm at a funny stage in my life and photographically--a
kind of transition phase.  I want to clear stuff out--get rid of the proverbial
stuff--and this includes my photos.  In many respects, this might be a good
time to deal with the photo management issue because I can multitask this
problem:  get a good management and workflow going and get rid of non-keepers,
and better organize those categories of photos I care most about, then move on.

In terms of storage, I miss the analogue days:  you had a box of negatives and
a box of prints.  Neither was immune from damage, but in terms of management it
was much easier.  With digital, well, everyone knows the score there.

So, don't blame Lightroom!  :-)

Cheers, Christine