On Thursday, March 14, 2002, at 11:34  AM, T Rittenhouse wrote:

> AL, a molded plastic non-spherical element, instead of several glass
> elements. A cheaper way to build a lens.

Not entirely --

1) the element does not have to be plastic (though often it is)
2) AL elements can be used to minimize distortion far more efficiently
than a series of traditional elements, resulting in a sharper, brighter
lens with less distortion
3) I don't know that AL elements are any cheaper -- if they were,
wouldn't Vivitar's cheapass 28mm prime be an AL lens?

-Aaron