on 2012-07-25 13:09 John Sessoms wrote
What's started happening is the next message is briefly (couple of seconds?)
highlighted and then no messages are highlighted. The next message is still
there, but no message is selected.

i haven't seen that behavior at all but it does sound like something "active" is happening when the next message is selected, so i'd ask if you have any plug-ins installed; beyond that, i'd bet you'd find more info on the Mozilla support forums — the bug tracker is set up for developers, but is searchable

I don't know anything about Thunderbird development being halted. I believe
there was an update just a few days ago. In fact, I think that's when this
weirdness started.

they are still providing minimal support, in the form of updates, for a while; beyond that it's up to the community; i'm not convinced the community outside of Mozilla's paid developers is big enough to keep it going, but i am optimistic that Thunderbird will be "good enough" for a few years; more info here:

<http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2499053>

So, what's the next thing in email applications.

sigh … the next big thing is that the forces that inspire people to create email clients have weakened because of an assumption that there isn't a market for anything new, so Outlook, Mail, Gmail and other webmail interfaces are pretty much it (unless you want to use Alpine or emacs, or something equally retro)

some had hopes for Sparrow, but that just went down the tubes too (just bought by Google), and it hasn't made it to Windows yet, plus wouldn't have satisfied you plain-text wise; Postbox was also hopeful, but it is based on Thunderbird so it may take heroics to keep it alive in the long term (and Postbox took out hierarchical threads, too, so i wasn't excited about it); Eudora OSE/Penelope is Thunderbird-based too, but pretty much dead already

I want something that's going
to work like I've got Thunderbird set up now (minus the recent weirdness),
which is to say to as closely resemble the old Netscape mail reader as possible
and allow me to have ONLY plain-text email.

HTML email should display as plain text with the HTML code stripped out.

fwiw, when Thunderbird displays plain-text it shows you the _plain-text MIME part_ which is not just the HTML code stripped out, but is a separate version of the message that all good email clients create when the message is sent (i think there is also an option for Thunderbird to strip the HTML for corrupt messages which have not plain text part)

i think you are on Windows, and i don't know my Win email clients that well, but it seems Outlook can be switched to plain text; on the Mac, Mail can be partially tweaked for plain-text, but it's awkward and Thunderbird gives me other things (hierarchical threading, versatile plug-ins) that Mail doesn't have