On Aug 17, 2012, at 1:53 AM, Jostein Øksne wrote:

> I think it was great to see so many of Eggleston's images together. What
> emerged was more than the sum of the individual images. Take series of
> pictures called "election eve", for example. The individual pictures in that
> series I found to be badly composed and mere recordings of mundane places and
> objects of daily life. Together, they conveyed something about the mood on
> that particular night in American history to me. And maybe something about
> ordinary people's attitude to the whole election process? I dunno... But put
> together like that I found Eggleston's images to have far more power than I
> had ever expected from seeing individual pictures presented together with
> works of other photographers. They seemed carefully selected to be pieces in
> a bigger puzzle.
> Then take our PDML exhibit. Images produced by 40 minds, with 40 individual
> styles, ideas, techniques, etc., etc.
> Excellent imagery, and put together it spoke loudly of how much fun we have
> together on this list. Visitors to Dank Haus without any connection to PDML
> on the other hand, would probably start looking for connections between the
> images. Maybe to see some collective thought we wished to express beyond the
> obvious joy of exhibiting together.
> I'm not saying there isn't one. I just say the comparison is unfair.

Interesting.  You must have a much more educated eye and a more cultured
palette than I do.  I've noticed that in almost any artistic endeavour,
people's tastes tend to change the more that they learn.   I was unable to
appreciate the exhibit as a whole because I couldn't get past my being
underwhelmed by so many of the individual photos.

>> After discussing a few technical details with "art photographers" I really
>> think that what separates an art photographer from a photographic
>> hobbyist is merely marketing and a finely developed sense of pretension.
>> It sure as hell isn't technical skill or quality of work.
>
> If you strike out "finely developed sense of pretension", you're pretty close
> to that art photography lecturer from Gothenburg. She redressed "marketing"
> as "catering to the right audience", and the importance of putting the work
> into a defined project with a defined idea or purpose. IIRC, the whole
> Eggleston exhibit was also organised so that images belonging to each of his
> projects hung together.
>
> Why do we always accuse art photographers of pretentiousness, btw? Seems like
> the law of Jante to me...

I had to look up the law of Jante.  Actually, it's not art photographers per
se, but artists as a whole.  It seems that most "serious" discussion of art by
artists sounds like a pedantic critique of Vogon poetry.