From: Walt Gilbert

On 8/21/2012 3:27 AM, Larry Colen wrote:
On Aug 20, 2012, at 3:56 PM, Walt Gilbert wrote:

What would be the best, most affordable option -- best bang for the lowest buck
-- for the wider landscapes? All I really care about is the focal length and IQ
-- everything else is mere window dressing as far as I'm concerned. I'm
essentially looking for something very common and highly regarded.
It seems to me that the least expensive way to get wide angles and high image
quality is to stitch multiple exposures together in a panorama.

Put the 50mm prime on your camera, mount it on the tripod in vertical
orientation and when you take a bunch of photos and stitch them together, you
even get higher resolution than you would with a wide angle lens.  If you want
to go all out, you calculate the nodal point, bend some steel into a 90 degree
bracket, drill a hole at the nodal point, buy a 1/4-20 nut and you are golden.

Mount it on the K100, and you get landscapes with the colors of the K100
sensor, the field of view of a wide angle, and better resolution than the K-5.

I've thought about trying my hand at stitching in the past. I may well
give it a whirl at some point on this trip. Is there any particular pano
stitching software you recommend?

There's a freeware program called Hugin that's supposed to be really good.

http://hugin.sourceforge.net/