> From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of
> Toralf Lund
>
> On 9/16/12 15:51, Bob W wrote:
> >> From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf
> >> Of Toralf Lund I don't know, personally I'm not convinced that
> >> chasing the "latest and greatest" and focusing on higher numbers (in
> >> various specs) or a longer list of features, is generally a good way
> >> to make products.
> > if you are Nikon or Canon and your market is professional journalists
> > and such-like then it is the only way to make products, because if
> > they don't make them someone else will and they will end up as also-
> rans.
> That may well be, but does that really make them better products? Which
> is, quite frankly, all I care about.

Presumably it makes them better products for their market, otherwise they
wouldn't be the leading camera makers.

> I mean, I'm somewhat selfishly
> interested in Pentax only if they build cameras *I* want to use, and
> I'd rather see them go out of business trying to do that, than survive
> by creating uninteresting products that collect cheap marketing points.

Well, you did say " I'm not convinced that chasing the "latest and greatest"
and focusing on higher numbers (in various specs) or a longer list of
features, is generally a good way to make products.", which is a general
point, and the one that I responded to.

Now you say "I'm somewhat selfishly interested in Pentax only if they build
cameras *I* want to use", which is a specific point, and of course is
perfectly reasonable, but not the same thing. Since you didn't make that
point, I couldn't respond to it.