I think the automotive manufacturer analogy is probably the most
appropriate. Some manufacturers like to be in *every* market, from the
inexpensive subcompact up to the full-size pickup. But a lot of auto
manufacturers make a good living by excluding some markets. If you
want a pickup, you have to get one from a manufacturer who makes one.
Some companies stick with a core competency until they build a
sufficient reputation (and sales) which allows for expansion into
other markets. Some continue to restrict themselves to only certain
markets.

Some of us might remember many years ago when Honda made some serious
rust buckets. They were popular cars: Got good gas mileage and good
reliability, but had some body integrity issues which they eventually
addressed and soon they hit a couple of models out of the park with
new designs and developed a reputation for quality. Of course, they
still didn't make pickups. Until one day, they did.

Now I don't hang out in the automotive forums, and maybe there were
some people who (before Honda introduced their Ridgeline pickup) got
totally ticked off at Honda for not bringing out a pickup when they
wanted to buy one. And they whined and complained and stamped their
feet about how they were gonna buy Toyota or Ford from now on and how
Honda, as a company, really sucked for not bringing out a pickup. Now
in my opinion, those people can spend their money on whatever they
want, but if they after switching brands hey decided to hang out in a
Honda enthusiast's forum and continue to whine about Honda, I would
really start to wonder about them.

If someone has decided to abandon Pentax for another brand, for
whatever reason, bully for them! But seriously, why would they be
hanging out in a PENTAX DISCUSS Mail List after making that decision,
unless (perhaps) they have an abusive personality and enjoy poking
people with virtual sticks? I speak only for myself here, but if I
find someone urinating in my Cheerios, I consider it to be bad form.