I remember, back in the film days, Olympus defined a niche for the
half-frame camera in a universe of full-frame 35mm offerings.

I suppose it may be conceivable that Pentax may occupy a similar niche
if the two major camera makers move to full frame.

On the other hand, I have a feeling that the consumer market will
eventually move away from the optical SLR in favor of mirrorless ILC
type cameras.

I'm getting notable numbers of young students (early 20's) in my
classes that prefer to use live view and don't particularly like the
optical viewfinder in the SLRs.  I suppose this makes sense.  They
grew up with digital point and shoots.

Also - very few people in my basic classes even know that there are
different sensor sizes.  It's only a very small part of the unit on
lenses, but when I bring it up, many of them find the very concept
confusing.  I think the whole concept of "full-frame" is something
that is only important to professionals and serious hobbyists  While
this is a very important segment of the market, it is relatively
small.

I see lots of camera brands in my classes.  The mix is overwhelmingly
Canon with Nikon a distant second.  In the last couple of years Sony
has been creeping in.  I almost never see a Pentax camera.

When you look at the features on the typical entry to mid-level SLRs
Canon is way behind everyone else.  They were last with Auto-ISO.
Something that is quite helpful to the beginning consumer but was
non-existent on Canon until recently.  The almost-two-year-old 7D,
which is a big seller, and considered to be one of Canon's shining
stars, just got a firmware upgrade that added features that have been
on Pentax, Nikon and most other brands for years.  That being said,
Canon sells more cameras than any other manufacturer.

So, I don't think all of stuff we argue about helps sell lot of
cameras and makes a manufacturer big.

In my opinion, Pentax has a great line of equipment that could compete
very well if they concentrated on marketing, distribution and dealer
support.

GS

George Sinos
gsi...@gmail.com