> From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of
> Bipin Gupta

[...]
> to drop too. So bits of bird droppings broken up and propelled by the
> wind do hit your camera and the lens. I was not spared.
> Back at the hotel, I tried cleaning the filter with a blower brush and
> the Japanese high fiber lens cloth (no China stuff). Faint spots still
> remained on the Hoya 77mm Pro 1 Filter. Back home I tried a lens
> cleaner. No luck. I could still see very faint spotting on the filter.
> My daughter was quick to point out that bird droppings have strong
> chemicals that can stain a lens coating, perhaps damage it.
> I would now love to hear from our photographer friends, a) for whom a
> filter is absolutely sacrilege, b) the Buddha's middle path takers who
> say they take the filter off for important events, and c) those who
> swear by the filter.

If you didn't have a filter then that stuff would probably be on your lens.

I typically use a hood and a filter on all of my lenses. I make sure I buy
the best quality filters, usually B+W.

Logically speaking there is some inevitable degradation of image quality,
but nobody has ever pointed any out to me, so as far as I'm concerned it's a
non-issue.