On 9/18/12 12:45 AM, Bipin Gupta wrote:
Yes this is an oft repeated old stuff. But here is a version bottled
anew. Since my retirement I have been travelling a lot. Last weekend
we were in San Francisco. We love the wharf area and pier 39 plus the
rides on the historic cable cars. A very windy and chilly day. Lots
and lots of birds flying around for scraps of food. And eat means they
have to drop too. So bits of bird droppings broken up and propelled by
the wind do hit your camera and the lens. I was not spared.
Back at the hotel, I tried cleaning the filter with a blower brush and
the Japanese high fiber lens cloth (no China stuff). Faint spots still
remained on the Hoya 77mm Pro 1 Filter. Back home I tried a lens
cleaner. No luck. I could still see very faint spotting on the filter.
My daughter was quick to point out that bird droppings have strong
chemicals that can stain a lens coating, perhaps damage it.
I would now love to hear from our photographer friends, a) for whom a
filter is absolutely sacrilege, b) the Buddha's middle path takers who
say they take the filter off for important events, and c) those who
swear by the filter.
Bipin.
camp: San Mateo, CA and not from the far away enchanting land.

I'm solidly in the "No Filter" camp, but will be the first to admit that the way I treat my photos tools is shameful.