I am usually diligent about using UV filters for everyday shooting.
As someone else mentioned, they are cheap insurance, and my camera
usually goes everywhere with me, often traveling in the bottom of a
handbag & subject to abuse.  I take them off in the studio, or in the
case of shooting backlit portraits, as I was the other day... I
grabbed the camera the next day to go to the bus stop for the first
day of school.  In our hurry to get out the door on that drizzly
morning, the business end of my 16-50 collided with the pointy metal
end of my daughter's umbrella.  Hard.  GAH!  I was horrified - no
filter!  But -- no problem.  Not a scratch.  The only real damage was
to my blood pressure...

I can see how bird droppings could be pretty caustic & wreck the
coatings on a lens or filter, though... I am at the beach quite often
& use filters there because of the salt & spray... now you've given me
another good reason...

:)
-c