On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 02:05:42PM -0500, Bruce Walker wrote:
> Welcome aboard, Aahz!
>
> SanDisk Extreme 16GB is my choice. You can't get any safer and
> reliable than that.

I've only got the Ultras, not the Extreme.  I started off with 8GBs
when I bought my K-5, but when I was in Texas in November for the
USGP I picked up a couple of the 16GB cards "just in case".

At that time the Extremes (45 MB/s, rather than the 30MB/s Ultras)
were a lot more expensive, but nowadays both seem to be around $1/GB.
Today I'd buy the Extremes. The K-5 might not be able to make use of
the extra speed, but maybe your next camera will ...

Larger capacity cards mean you don't have to change them as often
(a serious consideration in adverse conditions, or at big events),
but it's putting a lot more images at risk should the card fail.
I agree with Bruce that 16GB is a good compromise.