On 1/30/2013 1:57 PM, Aahz Maruch wrote:
Howdy,

Larry Colen "made" me join this list (I used to be a Pentax SLR person
decades ago, currently have a Nikon P7100, Larry's giving me advice on
kit to rent for a mid-May Alaska cruise, which will of course be Pentax).

So I checked the archives and don't see any recent threads about SD
cards, and I'm wondering what size and kinds of cards people are using,
particularly people with K-5/K-30.
I'm still using a K20D but the for what it's worth I use a couple of 8 Gig PNY class 10 that are my primary storage. For backup I have a selection of 2 and 4 gig Class 6 PNY and Sandisk cards. I don't really see any difference in performance between the Sandisk and PNY cards of the same class, except that when newly formatted, the K20D reports that the PNY cards can record one more image than the Sandisk cards of the same size.

You might want to look into 16 Gig sized cards, to have a reasonable amount of storage per card, based on the difference in file size between the K-5 and K20D. I find that I can store about 330 K20D images on an 8 gig card. (funny how spoiled you get, how did I ever get along limited to just 36 exposures on a roll of film, when did that become unreasonable).

--
Buy a Leica to get the full “Leica Experience”, (a quick reduction of funds in
the bank account).