On 2/2/13, Stan Halpin, discombobulated, unleashed:

>"Small." Right. So a non-techie, non-photographer is clueless. No real
>surprises there. But why does she wait until she gets home to do
>anything about it?!?!? The magic of modern technology has given us this
>thing called a telephone and then further transformed that device to
>make it mobile and usable even in far off places like Poland. So why not
>make a quick call and ask for help from someone that knows something?
>
>I used to work for the U.S. Army - hard to describe the job briefly, but
>somewhat related to soldier training. Back in Cold War days, the
>training & preparation was geared toward defense against a sophisticated
>opponent like the U.S.S.R.; as part of that most field exercises
>involved the use of radio jamming because the Soviets were expected to
>use jamming as part of any aggressive act. The result was that the vast
>majority of field radios turned in for repair after an exercise in fact
>had nothing wrong with them - the users simply did not recognize that
>they were being jammed and just assumed that their radio was broken.
>Alma's crony shows a similar failure of in-the-moment diagnostic skill
>as she assumed that the problem must be something complicated and
>unresolvable.
>
>To be fair to the crony, this sort of thing happens even to experienced
>competent photographers who, for example, might mistake their K-7 for a
>K-5, leading them in-the-moment to mis-diagnose limitations on low-ISO
>settings.

Interesting. I think it goes a bit deeper than this and in fact isn't
restricted to technical things. There are some people who simply don't
consider that to resolve a situation is necessarily the answer.

If you or I travel across the countryside and come across a river, our
first thoughts are how to cross the river. For some, it is about
stopping there and then, perhaps taking time out to sit and do something
entirely different. Then, in time, thoughts may turn to crossing the
river, perhaps walking up or down stream.

I'd be looking for something to chop a tree down with! :-)

--

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__    Broadcast, Corporate,