On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, Shel Belinkoff wrote:

> Hi Chris ...
>
> Keep it simple, good, and inexpensive - an El Nikkor 50/2.8 is a very
> fine "starter" lens. They are generally quite good optically, and they
> are common, which makes finding a good example relatively easy and
> fairly inexpensive.  It's also good enough to make larger prints.
>
> As for an enlarger, there are two ways to look at a first purchase.  One
> way is to buy something inexpensive and simple, to use while you're
> learning, until you know what you want to do in the darkroom.  At that
> point you'll have a good idea of the features you'd want in an enlarger,
> how big you'd like to print, and the formats that might be of interest.
>
> The other is to spend some money and buy an enlarger that you can grow
> into.  Beselers, Omegas, Saunders, some Dursts, are all common brands
> with good reputations that offer good quality.
>
> So, first decide how you want to proceed, then look in those areas.

I guess it depends on what the pockets can afford :) I am going to try to
process some of my first b&w negs (Tmax 100) this weekend, I have to get a
tank, reel, and chem. I have a thermometer, I think that is all i need.

The lens lengths confused me, I saw a lot of 50mm so I assumed those were
the "Standard" to start with. I am not sure how they relate to the
printing process.

I am going to wait another week or so before I get ready to buy an
enlarger.

Thanks for the help.

- Chris

--
Chris Murray                   /"\
[EMAIL PROTECTED]             \ /     ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN