Hi Chris,

Good for you, and congratulations for getting that first roll processed.

Comments interspersed:

> I am using my bathroom. It becomes light tight
> if I drop a towel along the bottom of the door,
> and turn off the hallway light.

Maybe, but until you test for fogging you cannot be absolutely certain.
A lot depends on what type and how much ambient light there is outside
your door, and how secure your bathroom door is from light leaks.  One
test that you can do is to seal the door, turn out all the lights, and
stay in the room for fifteen or twenty minutes.  Them move your hand in
front of your face .... what do you see?

> I think my negs came out good,
> I am not sure what a good black and white
> negative should look like.

If you don't know what a good negative looks like, why do you think they
came out well?  May I suggest the Kodak Darkroom Data Guide as a great
book for lots useful and valuable information for the beginner.  Amongst
other things, they have some excellent photos of what a good negative
looks like.

> looked them over and so far I have not found any scratches.

Many scratches can't be seen until the negative is scanned or enlarged,
and even then some enlargers may mask small scratches.  If, for example,
you're using a diffusion light source and are making small (5x7)
enlargements, you may never see scratches that would be evident with a
condenser enlarger - especially at greater enlargements - or when using
a decent scanner.

> Once I get a better rythm with my process I am going
> to experiment a bit. any pointers.

See above.  Also, get a light box and a good loupe in order to better
examine and compare negatives.  You may be surprised at what you see, or
don't see, when examining a negative in that manner, as opposed to
holding it up to the light.

--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]