On Mar 6, 2013, at 9:06 PM, Darren Addy wrote:

> I've never bothered with doing anything special to insure my photo
> gear in the past but I'm not reaching the point where I think I'd
> better consider doing so. I don't know a lot about the subject
> however. I was hoping for some pointers.
>
> I'd like to be insured against theft and also equipment damage in the
> case of an accident. (I take a camera bag back and forth with me to
> work almost every day). Is there something special that I must do to
> get this covered under my homeowner's policy and my auto policy

yes

> (or is
> there separate coverage that one purchases). I really should know
> about such things at my age, but I don't.

In the U.S., your homeowner's policy includes coverage for personal items
(including cameras, jewels, barbecue grills, whatever) anywhere in the world.
So you have coverage of your stuff inside the house if the house burns down.
But your stuff is covered in your car, in a storage locker, in the trunk of a
rental car in Mexico, wherever. You are subject to your policy deductible for
theft/loss (often set at $500 per incident), you are subject to a max-value
limit (often $2000 per incident), and you are subject to a total value limit
(some percentage of the replacement value of your home as defined in the
policy).

If the limits are too limiting, then you take an inventory of your special
goods (cameras, gold coins, jewels, collection of PDML Annuals, etc., and
purchase a separate policy rider for those items. I've considered that route
but so far have stuck with basic homeowner's coverage. State Farm gave me good
service and fair replacement value when I had a camera + lens stolen in Mexico.

stan