On 2013-03-06 21:06, Darren Addy wrote:

I'd like to be insured against theft and also equipment damage in the
case of an accident. (I take a camera bag back and forth with me to
work almost every day). Is there something special that I must do to
get this covered under my homeowner's policy and my auto policy (or is
there separate coverage that one purchases). I really should know
about such things at my age, but I don't.

Check with whoever has your homeowner's policy. That's what usually covers goods like cameras. They'll most likely want some sort of proof of ownership. Typically, photos or videos of the gear are acceptable. Most homeowner's policies will cover you up to some number of "dollars" without even doing that. On my policy, it's US$2,500 for stuff like cameras, guns, coin collections, etc. Above that limit, they want the photos/videos, and will work out a "rider" on the policy for you. The added cost is often only a handful of dollars a year. At least that's been my experience.

--
Doug "Lefty" Franklin
NutDriver Racing