On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 01:04:49PM -0400, Daniel J. Matyola wrote:
> "You will have students who are motivated, which makes the job of
> teaching much easier, and will tend to attract people to the
> profession who are passionate about teaching."
>
> Unfortunately, that is the philosophy of the current system:  make the
> job of teachers easier, and eliminate any method of measuring
> performance.  I am not convinced that is the was to attract people who
> are passionate about teaching;  it is more likely to attract those
> looking for any easy and secure position.

You're conflating two arguments.
While much of the current (US) based public education system has
eliminated any meaningful way of evaluating the perfomance of
teachers (although just how to measure this is, in itself, a whole
new can of worms), that's not a position put forward by the proponents
of charter/voucher schools.

I know a little about this; one of my parents (and both of those of my
wife) were life-long teachers. I went to the UK equivalent of both a US
public school (although this was before Maggie Thatcher's drive to full
comprehensive schools, so even then it was a selective 'grammar' school)
and a voucher-supported school (a so-called Direct Grant public school),
so I've seen at least some of the inside of both sides.

My mother was a very close friend of the headmistress of one of the big
experimental comprehensive schools (Kidbrooke - Bob probably knows of it),
so I also know something about how a public school system can work, and
of the problems encountered in trying to make it work.