On Apr 23, 2013, at 11:08 AM, Christine Nielsen <ch...@inielsen.net> wrote:

> Thanks Christine, Alan, Frank & Dan...
>
> ... and Paul,
>
> Chicago is my and my husband's alma mater, too!  There are several new
> buildings since our day -- the Ratner Gymnasium, the Mansueto Library,
> the Max Palevsky dormitory just north of the Regenstein Library/south
> of the Field House, the Logan Arts Center along the Midway (the
> views!), and another dorm called "South Campus" (awaiting a name/big
> donation, I presume), which is on 61st, behind Burton-Judson dorm...
> Plus, the old Bartlett Gymnasium has been converted into a dining
> hall!  It is interesting to see the University pushing farther
> south... I lived 2 years at B-J, and we never even went into the back
> yard of that building -- that was the campus perimeter, and beyond
> that, the dangerous wilds of the South Side.  ;)  Despite all the new
> construction, everything is very familiar, the kids all look the same,
> even.
>
> I'll have to look & see what other campus photos I have from the weekend...
>
> BTW, ever read "Devil in the White City"?  Tells the true story of a
> serial killer who used the 1893 World's Fair to lure his victims...
>
> :)
> -c

I'll have to get that book. I love fiction with a historic angle, especially
when its set in a place with which I'm familiar. The remnants of the White City
amusement park were still on 63rd street when I was a little boy. I remember my
mother pointing it out when we would ride the 63rd street bus from Stony to
Halsted, where she would shop at Wieboldts. That would have been 1953.

I grew up on the southside and was one of a handful of commuter students at U
of C when I started grad school in 1971. I got married during my second
semester and moved to the Flamingo building on South Shore Drive. (At the time,
student housing was scarce, and the somewhat pricey Flamingo was all we could
find, mid term.)

I grew very fond of Hyde Park and the University. I have a book called "One in
Spirit" that tells the story of the University and includes many gray old
photos. I first read the book a few years after graduation when my wife and I
were living in Morgan Park on the far southwest side of the city. Upon reading
the book I discovered that the house next door had been the site of a meeting
between Rockefeller and Thomas Goodspeed in regard to the establishment of the
University. I shot the house on 4x5 and made a print for the U of C archives.
Fun stuff.

Would love to see more of your photos.

Paul