More RAM, yes, more processor speed, no.

I'm running a blue & white G3 400 with a gig of RAM.  Until a few months
ago I was running with 512 megs of RAM, which was how I picked up the
system nearly three years ago.  Our bottleneck is now drive speed.  I
replaced our original 5200 rpm drive with a larger 7200 rpm one about a
year ago, and that boosted Photoshop performance noticeably.  Now that
they've dropped in price, I'm thinking of adding a large FireWire
external drive.  I'll let you know if I do what the result is.

Anyhow, with the above system, I do not find the performance while
scanning or tweaking large files to be sluggish until the file size goes
above 750 megs (6x9 neg scan at 4000dpi with multiple layers).  Since I
am rarely in that situation, I am not considering an upgrade to my
tower's processor at this time.

Another thing to keep in mind is that with files that are bigger than
100 megs, you'll run out of scratch disk space in a hurry.  I like to
keep at least 5 gigs free for Photoshop's scratch disk.  Without that
much, performance really drops with big files.

So, if I'm remembering my benchmarks right, your 733 machine should be
faster than my G3 400.  You're fine.  512 megs of RAM was good enough
for me until I started making 4000dpi scans from medium format.  Get
some big, fast drives and have a good time.

Does the scanner have a FireWire option?  I don't know if it was because
of scanner performance or because of FireWire vs. SCSI, but our old SCSI
SprintScan 4000 scanned more slowly than our newer SprintScan 120.  Both
would be significantly faster than USB, which is relatively slow.  If
you're using the scanner through USB, that could be what is causing your
long scan times.

Have fun!

-Aaron