Some good pointers on setting up photoshop (on Mac) are on
http://www.tema.ru/p/h/o/t/o/s/h/o/p/index.html

The speed of HDD shouldn't really matter. Once I start swapping, I know
I am very dead. The difference between how fast one can read from RAM
and from HDD are a few orders of magnitude. If I change my interface
from IDE (ATA100) to SCSI you get a factor of 2 at best (guess). The
name of the game (for me at least) is to avoid using scratch disk at
any cost. I know I am in trouble when levels adjustments on a 120M scan
starts taking a few minutes. My workflow usually is (1) open the file
(2) adjust the levels (3) change to 8 bit (3) save (4) close file. I
can do 2 files in one photoshop session, after which I have to kill the
program and start it again.

This of course have to do only with 120+ M files, 16 bit color/channel.
With 8 bit/ch color, 60+M, it works just fine. I suspect, Mac version
may have a better memory management -- I have win2K. If anyone has any
idea what I can do to improve memory performance on windows version of
PS, that would be greatly appreciated.