on 2013-06-15 20:17 Aahz Maruch wrote
Eric specifically said he wanted weather resistance, which is not
something the Q series is known for.  For that matter, I doubt the
iPhone is particularly good at it, but any personal electronics designed
to be constantly carried on the body have to be at least slightly proof
against the environment.

iPhones/iPod Touch (and Android phones) can also be fit with a weather resistant case (Otterbox, LifeProof, etc.), though even a minimal case (Incipio NGP) has worked beautifully for me for the 29 months i've had my iPhone 4; i shoot with it in all kinds of weather and have gotten it a bit wet now and then, and damp quite often; i know of an iPhone in a similar case that has gotten more wet more times than mine and is still fine

these devices have the added benefits of doing all sorts of other things that benefit a traveler

Side note: if an iPhone is being brought for just camera usage (at at
least no phone usage), consider getting an iPod Touch instead.  Given the
current generation Touch has a Retina display, the camera is at most one
generation behind.

good idea; the latest Touch has about the same 5mp camera as the iPhone 4 and i've been pretty happy with that; plus you can use FaceTime, Skype and such when you've got wifi, in lieu of an actual phone service