I've been otherwise involved the last few days without much time to do more
than an occasional glance at the PDML. But I noticed your query Eric, and also
noticed that the discussion seemed to get sidetracked from cameras to phones. I
have the iPhone 5. I've used the built-in camera for more than a few
beer-bottle photos to share on Facebook from obscure locales, and it works
fine. But I would never consider traveling with the iPhone as my only camera.
My strong recommendation would be the Pentax WG-3. I have the WG-2, haven't
used it that much, but have been quite satisfied with the results. It is
rugged, waterproof, and makes an ideal backpacking camera.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-WG-3-black-Waterproof-Digital/dp/B00B728M5U/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A7CWZEVWDFA0Y

stan