On Jun 18, 2013, at 2:55 PM, steve harley <p...@paper-ape.com> wrote:

> i have the 5 mp, and get lots of good shots with it, but the consensus seems
> to be that the 8 mp camera is a big step up; it is only about 1/3 more linear
> resolution, but it has better optics and better low-light performance, and
> its aperture is f/2.4 instead of f/2.8; these are reasonable specs, but the
> sensor is smaller than those in better point & shoots, and the lens is fixed
> at a moderate wide angle, so there's definitely some trade-off between
> phonecam and point & shoot
>
> as for memory, i have 16GB in my iPhone 4, and 1361 photos are currently
> taking 2GB; the 8 mp photos would probably be a little under twice the size
> (they are supposedly sharper, so JPEG compression would squeeze them less)

Thanks, Steve. Very helpful.

> any smartphone/iPod Touch camera has the advantage of easy uploads when wifi
> is available (you probably don't want to watch your cellular data use while
> traveling) and you can process & sort your images onboard; many will
> automatically geotag your photos….

Yes, the idea of one all-purpose device is appealing. [I seem to be agreeing
with everyone's suggestions. My decision, whatever it is, will be better for
them.] As I said in responding to Paul, I'll need to see what I can afford when
essential expenses are firmed up.

Sincerely,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net

“Guess, compute the consequences of the guess,
check if they agree with the evidence, and if the evidence
persistently refuses to agree, the guess is wrong.”

- Richard Feynman