some more thoughts...

I've always heard that pttl doesn't work all that great, so I never bothered
getting the 80 dollar hot shoe for my Metz 54. I always used it in auto and
hand fed it settings and used the dummy hot shoe. This worked beautifully and I
could adjust EV on the flash. That flash died. I can plan on fixing it, but I
needed a flash now. I was using a borrowed speed light, but found it much less
accurate than the Metz and had no EV compensation grrr. Sure cycled fast, I'll
give Nikon that. To be fair it probably works great on a digital Nikon body.

So a friend offered me an old Pentax swivel flash. Af280 I think? Its cute,
compact and has a great autothyristor. I can get accurate exposures pretty
easily and I think the flash is communicating with the camera somewhat as it
gives flash ready indication in the viewfinder. I like it. It swivels and
rotates 360 degrees. Powerful enough to bounce. Seems really reliable too. I
paid 40 for it. Its even strong enough for 200mm and some distance. I honestly
don't know the guide number. He used to use it with his 67. Mmmm 67....

I prefer manual flash control for controlled setups anyways. Best to just
preset everything. For covering say an event, I love auto flashes. I can use
aperture and iso to quickly adjust exposure it needed. If I were to buy a high
end flash, I would get an older Metz like the first 58 AF. The Pentax flashes
forgetting settings is a real deal breaker. So is the preflash. I want one
flash and that's it. You get soooo much less blinking....I don't hear much good
about pttl, so who cares about that? Autothyristors are superior regardless of
system IMO. I know I'm not alone in this thinking. TTL was superior to
everything that followed. Too bad only the list supported it. Funny how they
could make it work back then......

https://www.facebook.com/zosxaviusphotography