Of course the beaches in Nova Scotia are free.  The water is so cold
that they have to pay people to wade into the surf.  <G>

There are free beaches is Jersey, like Atlantic City, Wildwood and the
federal and state parks.  Many smaller towns sell beach badges as a
means of paying for boardwalks, concert halls, sand restoration, beach
clean-up and life guards.

Th sand below the mean high water line is controlled by the state, in
trust for the people.  That means one can walk on any beach, along the
water line.  Beach badges are required for many municipal funded
beaches only for sitting and sunning on the beach, and for entry
through the municipal access points.

There is a lot of sentiment for requiring towns that are taking state
and federal money to repair Sandy damage to open their beaches to
everyone, without charge.

Dan Matyola