From: "knarftheriault
Wow. Pay to use beaches? More commodification of what used to be
considered common areas.

In Nova Scotia, where my parents are from, beaches are common areas,
as is access to them. Community easements have existed for hundreds
of years.

Now people from other areas (meaning other countries as well as other
parts of Canada) are snatching up relatively cheap seaside land and
building huge vacation houses.

Then they put up fences and "no trespassing" signs preventing locals
from using traditional pathways to the shore. I'm sure they could go
to court to have these easements recognized but who can afford that?

Another sigh (second today).

cheers, frank

It's sort of happening on North Carolina's Outer Banks. Except that NC law doesn't permit the homeowner to close off beach access. There are some places where private beach access is curtailed, but that's because they've been replaced by Public Access points.

The state & municipalities have done a fair job of ensuring there is some public parking for beach goers. It ain't always cheap.

But, at least we have Cape Hatteras National Seashore & the like where the parking is free (camping costs a nominal fee $20 - $25/night)

Hammocks Beach State Park has free primitive campsites, but the ferry costs $5 round trip (no vehicles, carts or wagons allowed, wheelchairs & strollers OK). Parking is free & if you have your own canoe/kayak you don't need to ride the ferry.