On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Walt <ldott...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/4/2013 10:50 AM, Bruce Walker wrote:
>>
>> I have no dedicated space here either but I roll up rugs, take down
>> pictures, and push furniture to one end of the room. All you need is a
>> few linear feet of blank wall, curtains, sheers in front of a window,
>> etc. Also, if you shoot in the middle of say a living room and use
>> wider apertures the background will blur out nicely and give a homey
>> feel to the shot.
>
> My biggest challenge, aside from shifting around furniture, rugs, etc.,
> would be maintaining some semblance of order. It's usually a hive of
> activity between my brother, sister, nieces, great-nieces, friends dropping
> by unannounced throughout the day.

Don't think of them as family and friends, think of them as Voice
Activated Grip-gear.

> My pal Dan, who lets me use his furniture/art studio from time to time does
> have some empty space I could probably use just about anytime I want,
> though. He owns the place where I did the two recent portrait shoots with
> the young girls, and has an unfinished area downstairs that would do nicely
> with a little sweeping. Big windows, plain white, primered walls, etc. I
> recently watched his house and dogs while he was away for the weekend, so I
> know he'd trust me -- which is great. I'll have to approach him with an
> offer of some kind. His downstairs area would be just about perfect.

There you go: problem solved! Big windows and white walls are
photographers nirvana. Your next purchase should be a couple of 4x8'
sheets of silvered one side foam insulation. Use them to bounce light
from the windows and you have million dollar studio light. Pain the
backs of the insulation flat black for maximum utility.

--
-bmw