On 7/24/2013 6:15 PM, Aahz Maruch wrote:
On Wed, Jul 24, 2013, Matthew Hunt wrote:
On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 6:47 PM, Aahz Maruch <a...@pobox.com> wrote:
Does anyone actually use those multiple autofocus points for live
handheld shooting?
I think it would be a big help for birds in flight. On Pentax bodies,
it's easy for the bird to slip in between the sites, or outside the
area they cover. Then the lens starts hunting, and you're toast.
Let me rephrase: does anyone actually use manually-selected AF points for
handheld shooting?

(I did use the camera-selected AF points some during our Alaska cruise
and got limited benefit from that; can't imagine getting any benefit from
trying to select AF points while the bird is moving.)
I always do. In fact, I've used manually selected focus points almost exclusively since I got my K20D, as I feel it saves me some cropping and helps my composition. The ability to quickly change the focus point was one of the reasons I preferred using the K20D over my K-x in spite of the difference in low light performance.

I've also used it on a few bird shots, albeit with limited success. Still, I think it has made a difference for the better in my photos.

Of course, we all have our own ways of shooting, so it's obviously not for everybody. But I really do enjoy using that feature in the K20D and K-5.

-- Walt