On 02/08/2013 10:07 AM, Walt wrote:

I'm not sure how practical it will be to come up with a matronly assistant -- at least for my first few shoots. The best I can think of at the moment would be the mother of a young girl I shot a couple of months ago. She's not all that matronly, but she did offer to assist me on shoots whenever I need it.
Better than nothing. Unless you and the model are actually friends, having an assistant along is a good idea. Often, models will want to bring an escort for their "safety", having an assistant has the same effect on your safety.

As for the model releases/contracts -- that's something I do need to look into. How detailed do those things need to be? I could dash off a short, sweet, one-page document without a problem. I guess I'll need to look around the web for some standard releases and contracts to get an idea of what I need to do. Do you know of any good resources in particular -- maybe some place that has downloadable templates?

Model releases are good for photographers who are potential dickheads in my mind, but I don't, as a rule, do things with pictures that would embarrass the models. A good model release gives you the ability to tell the model to go pound sand if she decides she doesn't like your usage. Of course, if you are that type of photographer, you will stop getting models willing to work with you in a hurry as well. Usage agreements give the models certain rights, the fewer rights you give, the more prickery you can pull down the road. Again, these are good if you tend towards dickheadedness, as when the model instagrams one of your images, you can point out that she can't do this and threaten to sue.
You might win a very expensive battle, and lose the war.

I have never bothered with model releases or licensing agreements. I think the whole tying these sorts of things up with contracts is somewhat arrogant, and I won't get involved. The model has just as much skin in the game as the photographer (sometimes a lot more depending on the type of shoot), and I put their interests ahead of my own. Any files I hand over to the model have shared copyright written into the EXIF data, so the model has equal ownership of the images.

YMMV, your culture isn't as trusting as mine, and tends to be more litigious and confrontational in this regard.

bill