On Aug 6, 2013, at 12:42 , Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I'm closing in getting my ducks lined up for my trip to England,
> Circumstances are leading me to think of my *ist DS as my camera for the
> trip. A concern is carrying it on my nine-day walk. I'm inclined toward a
> harness system that I could wear under my pack. Either one that leaves the
> camera exposed or puts it in a pouch. This one is appealing.
> <http://www.adorama.com/CEKSSBK.html>
>
> I'd be interested in experience with this system or others, especially if
> they cost less than this one. [Not to say it is unreasonable.]

If you anticipate mostly clear weather, I don't have enough nice things to say
about this system:

https://peakdesignltd.com/capture/

I used it this weekend with my K5 and 16-50 hanging off of my belt for all day
Saturday and Sunday, and it was awesome.  No straps, no fuss.

It was originally designed with backpack straps in mind - it would let you just
hang the DS right on whichever shoulder strap is easiest for you to reach for.

(Look at the graphic on the front page labeled "Outdoors" - that's you!)

> I'd like to have the camera readily accessible, but not banging agains my
> chest, and with as little weight on my neck as possible. [A four mile hike
> over the weekend with a 35-105mm zoom on my camera made me a bit anxious
> about how I might feel at the end of a 15 to 20 mile day.]

The only possible issue could be if you have "zoom creep" with the 35-105 when
it's hanging face down.  I found that the 16-50 doesn't do this unless I'm
running and it's banging against my leg pretty hard.

Here is a close-up of it in use on my belt:

http://charles.robinsontwins.org/photos/2013/IMG_2993-2.jpg

And here's me and my brother (he's the one on the left) with them "in action".
(He shoots Canon, though) Notice I have a DSLR ready for action but it's
completely not in my way!  Totally hands-free while walking around.

http://john.robinsontwins.org/2013/twins_days/content/IMG_3896_large.html

 -Charles

--
Charles Robinson - charl...@visi.com