> On Aug 7, 2013, at 9:58 PM, Godfrey DiGiorgi <godfreydigio...@me.com> wrote:
>>
>> Picking a single prime lens camera is, I find, a useful exercise in
>> lack of distractions. I prefer it to the zooms.

One day of my Alaska cruise, I spent two hours walking around Victoria
with the FA 100mm/2.8 WR macro.  I enjoyed it, but it required a very
different frame of mind -- accepting the shots I could take with it
rather than seeing something and trying to make it work with good
framing.  Overall I definitely prefer zooms.  (And it really only worked
for me because I went out primarily with the intention of hunting
flowers.  I absolutely would have been frustrated with going a whole trip
prime.)

On Thu, Aug 08, 2013, Eric Weir wrote:

> Well, when I got up this morning I was of a completely different
> frame of mind from last night.

;-)

> I've checked out all the more recent suggestions. The Leica, and even
> the Sony, are not in my budget. The Nikon's in the ballpark, but I
> think the quote from Godfrey above tipped me over into the current
> mindset: the *ist DS with a single prime. I have an an A 50/1.7 and an
> A 28/2.8. It will be a trade-off between the speed of the 50 and the
> wider angle of the 28. And John Sessom's suggestion, I think I'll look
> to Op-Tech for my solution for carrying the camera, in part because it
> will be inexpensive, in part because it comes reasonably close what I
> think I need/want.

You could easily do sort-of both; IIRC you have someone to cart your full
baggage around, so bring both lenses and choose one each day (possibly
even just swapping off strictly).
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/