On Thu, Aug 08, 2013, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
> On Aug 8, 2013, at 7:05 AM, Aahz Maruch <a...@pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> One day of my Alaska cruise, I spent two hours walking around Victoria
>> with the FA 100mm/2.8 WR macro.  I enjoyed it, but it required a very
>> different frame of mind -- accepting the shots I could take with it
>> rather than seeing something and trying to make it work with good
>> framing.  Overall I definitely prefer zooms.  (And it really only worked
>> for me because I went out primarily with the intention of hunting
>> flowers.  I absolutely would have been frustrated with going a whole trip
>> prime.)
>
> A 100mm lens on APS-C is rather an extreme one lens exercise. You have
> to work in a very confined space with that. 21-50 mm is much more
> flexible.

As I said, my intent in going out was to hunt flowers, and that was the
only macro lens I brought on the trip.  In general, I tend to prefer
short-to-medium telephoto; if you subtract the Skagway train photos, the
vast majority of my cruise photos were either the 100mm or the 60-250.
(With P&S cameras, I tend to work the shorter lengths more often because
that's the only way to get wider apertures for both low-light and bokeh.)

The only time I wished for a shorter lens was when I was taking a couple
of street shots.  I wished for a longer lens on that walk much more
frequently.

I did have the 16-50 in my case, but it was drizzling at the start, and
partway through the walk I decided to just make it a one-lens exercise.
(Sure was glad to have WR lens!)
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/