Steve,

Surprisingly, you will pay extra to not have that feature.  I suspect
that the cost to Pentax between the two backs has more to do with
volume than the feature.  Since all the other ZX bodies use the same
back, it is cheaper to just supply the date back.  When I have seen
the ZX-5n without date back, it has always been more expensive than
the date back version.  Go figure...

Bruce Dayton