Bill Peifer wrote:

>Bruce Dayton wrote:
>> Those of you who scan 120 film - how do you do it?  Do you have
>> issues with film flatness?
>

>I'd be interested to find out as well what everyone's experience is with
>this.  Haven't done any of this myself, and I was wondering if it's possible
>to simply sandwich the negative between thin glass plates.  I noticed that
>the Epson 2450 accommodates large negatives, but don't know if it would
>accommodate a "sandwich" such as I describe.

Supposedly there's a big problem with Newton rings if you do this with ordinary
glass. Most MF film scanners have special "anti-Newton-ring" glass in their
carriers, although I'm sure I don't know what goes into this stuff. I've
read enough about it from unbiased sources that I don't think it's marketing
hype.

>I won't be buying a 2450 any time soon, since I'm still using my limited
>budget to acquire 6x7 accessories.  I thought I'd try scanning 6x7 negatives
>by laying them directly on the bed of my cheap CanoScan D660U, then
>back-illuminate them either by setting a lightbox on top, or by reflecting
>the scanner's built-in front-illuminating light source with some sort of
>home-built adapter (kind of like the transparency adapters some of the
>flatbed scanners currently use).

Either that or you could phone me up and arrange to come over and try out
my Minolta Scan Multi II :-P It only goes to 1125 dpi for medium format
but the results from my 645 transparancies are *very* nice. Blown up with
Genuine Fractals they're beautiful up to 12 x 16 size  (the biggest I've
tried). 67 stuff could only be better!

--
Mark Roberts
www.robertstech.com