Regarding an idea for back-illuminating MF negatives on a flatbed scanner,
gfen wrote:
> I've tried this, and let me make it simple: Don't bother. :)

> I went though the same thoughts, except 4x5 instead of 6x7. The easiest
> solution for me was to give up and buy a Umax Astra 4450 which comes
> with a 4x5 lit section of the top.

Thanks for those words of warning.  My cheap flatbed actually has a
back-illuminating source in the lid, used for scanning 35mm slides and
negatives.  Actually works pretty well, and with some hardware tricks that
Canon implemented, I can get 2400-ppi scans -- good for 8x10 prints.  This
lamp in the lid is quite a bit bigger than a 35mm frame, but I don't know
how much of a 6x7 frame it would illuminate.

How well does that Umax scanner work (resolution, Dmax, etc.)?  Current
price?

Thanks again,

Bill Peifer
Rochester, NY