Your upload speed, like your download speed, is dependent upon your
internet connection. A lot of internet service providers give you
faster download speed than upload speed. This is to discourage people
setting up their own web servers at home (ostensibly). You can check
both with any of the online bandwidth speed testers. I like this one:
http://www.speedtest.net/

Other than that, you will probably get a little faster REAL speeds if
you are using a wired connection, rather than a wireless (bits can
tend to get lost or interfered with and error checking makes them need
to be sent more than once).

An upload client that lets you select a bunch of pictures is much more
convenient (and takes less time in the selection process) than those
that make you do one at at time. Try using the CNTL-SHIFT button to
select a RANGE of images and see if the program will let you do that.

--
Nothing is sure but death and Pentaxes.