All that really matters for display on a computer screen is the number of
pixels UNLESS you're using a page layout app that understands the density and
renders it. I set my web resolution JPEGs to 72ppi out of habit, but it doesn't
matter at all for a browser's display of a photograph.

My output sizing for the web is similar to Cotty's ... up to 1200 pixels on the
long edge for most photos these days. Sizes have gone up as displays have
gotten larger and fast internet is more ubiquitous now.