On Oct 6, 2013, at 3:00 PM, Bruce Walker <bruce.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So you have to make the best of what you've got and that means
> reducing the amount of data you are sending. I noticed that you are
> uploading your full-sized camera images: 2008x3008 pixels. Do you
> really need to do that? Would 684x1024 be good enough? This depends on
> who you are uploading these for.

Thanks, Bruce. My apologies for taking so long to respond, but  do appreciate
the suggestions.

I didn't realize  was exporting full-size images. My settings have resize to
1000H X 1000W pixels at 240 pixels per inch. I'll give some thought to whether
I want to continue doing that. Probably not. A hesitation concerns setting the
H/W ratio. Is there a way to get LR to do that?

> I also noticed that your images are noisy (based on your PESO image
> 20130916-IMGP6886 at 2008x3008). You may not care about a little noise
> but it makes your JPEGs larger. This is because the more high
> frequency content in an image the less the JPEG compression algorithms
> can squeeze it. Noise is useless high frequency content.
>
> You're using Lightroom 5 so you should apply some noise reduction to
> all your images. You can make it a default setting applied during
> import.

I'm aware of the noise, especially, as is often the case, especially indoors,
when I've used high ISO.  I've rarely done more than the simple editing
provided under Quick Develop in the Library module. Time venture out and learn
to do something new. I'll start experimenting with the settings under
Detail/Noise Reduction in the Develop module.

> After that, well if you can't make the uploads any faster, then at
> least make them more convenient -- make them run in the background.
> Since you're using Lightroom, you should configure the builtin Flickr
> Exporter (uploader). It will let you down-size the uploaded images,
> compress them more, convert them to sRGB, etc, all automatically
> during the upload.

I've uploaded one set using the built-in uploader. Once I get the hang of it I
can see it will be more convenient. I see how to resize, but not compress or
set the color space. The options under file settings are greyed-out and do not
include setting the color space.

> Hope that helps, Eric.

It will take some practice, but it certainly does.

Sincerely,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children."

- Chief Seattle